Friday, June 09, 2006

 
Another food day Friday. After discussing leads for our inverted pyramid exercise and receiving packing tips from Karen, we headed for the SAMM shelter just west of downtown. We walked through the clinic area to the dining room maintained by the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. We were to help prepare and serve a meal to around 200 individuals. Sylvia oriented us to the mission. Bright yellow aprons distinguished volunteers from blue-aproned staff. The hairnets did wonders for our appearance. My tasks included stacking bread in bins, filling dessert trays, slicing tomatoes, washing dishes, mopping the floor, amd distributing utensils in the lunch line.
When I retreated from the odor of cilantro, Sylvia said they considered it a treat. Later she showed me where I could bring cilantro or other donations at the Medina Street door.
Four hours on my feet was a bit fatiguing, but for novices I think we served well.
I admire the individuals who assist on a regular basis.
I hadn't known that the dining room was separate from the SAMM shelter, although some residents are served meals there. Some days they are severely short-handed. Today two cooks were absent. Sylvia seems to manage it all calmly.
Next time I see my classmates, we'll be meeting at the airport.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?